Chip for 85 305 TPI on carb 350

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Fri Jul 30 09:09:02 GMT 1999

A neighbor has a 66 El Camino with a 305 TPI.  It came from an 85
meaning it uses the 1226870 ECM.  The 305 blew up and was replaced with
an early/mid 80's 350 carbureted long block.  A table in Chilton's
implies that it must be an 85 or 86.  The original 305 TPI equipment was
transferred over.  Right now it runs OK, but I'm trying to figure out
what would be a correct/better chip for this configuration.

Supposedly, the old 305 and new 350 both had heads with the same size
chambers.  I don't know which heads ended up in the car.  If Chilton's
is to be believed, this engine now has a CR of 8.2:1, compared to 9.0
for a 350 TPI and 9.5 for a 305 TPI.  Could someone who has a head for
Chevy heads confirm this?

Presumably, this 350 block has a wimpier cam than a TPI would normally
have.

Are 305 and 350 TPI injectors the same, or does the 350 use a higher
flow rate?

What should be changed to deal with the lower CR?  Advance the timing?

I'm sure that some of this is answered in the list archive, which is my
next stop.