peak-n-holds

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Mar 18 23:34:52 GMT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Pitts <mpitts at netspeak.com>
To: 'gmecm at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu' <gmecm at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Thursday, March 18, 1999 4:22 PM
Subject: RE: peak-n-holds

>I have the stock ECM in my Buick GN which still has
>the stock saturation type injector drivers installed.
>I am however running 55# low-impedence injectors.
>I know that this is not supposed to work, but it
>has been working...so far.

I'd really be suspicous. of something being wrong, and your just
borderline on it working.  Such as having a poor ground or some
resistance in the power to the injectors.  I went from a 2 ohm load to
1, and the driver lasted just seconds, your going from 6,  16 ohms to
6,  2 ohms, and it's living?.  See if at the ecm you have any voltage
reading on any of the ground wires at the ecm, with a good DVM.
Also, key on, engine off what is the voltage at the injector drivers at the
ecm...

>I have some peak-n-hold drivers (4A) that I would
>like to install into the ECM to make it right for
>the injectors.
>
>I am curious if doing this is going to change the
>fuel output of the injector compared to what it is
>right now with the saturation type drivers.
>
>My understanding is that the "peak" part of the
>peak-n-hold might cause the pintle to open slightly
>quicker. If so, I would guess the total open time
>would be slightly longer, allowing more fuel to enter
>for a given pulsewidth.

Well, that has been mentioned, but they also close quicker,
since their is less smoke flowing thru the injector, when it's on
Bruce