peak-n-holds

Mike Pitts mpitts at emi.net
Sun Mar 21 03:46:47 GMT 1999

>So to change to Peak+Holds was just a simple R+R of the transistors?.
>I was under the impression that it took a "board" with at least a sense
>resistor, and some support electronics

It wasn't that simple, but close.

For these particular drivers, a sense resistor is not required.
They are the same type of driver as the Motorola MC3484S4-2.
It's a rather self-contained driver, with the only external additions
being a resistor on the supply voltage and a zener between the
output and ground.

On the 1227148, there's already a zener in the original circuit,
shared by all the drivers, isolated by other diodes.  I had to find
a source for the supply voltage, but that was easy by just following
a trace and double checking with a meter.

I installed my brand new completely modified ECM a few minutes
ago and the car fired right up.  Is it possible that the car would idle
smoother from this change, or am I just imagining things? I'm
thinking that at the super low pulsewidths required for these big
injectors at idle, the flow is more uniform with the peak current
yanking them open harder than the saturation drivers did...just
a guess.

-Mike