Loose Reluctor Coil

Teller.John at orbital.com Teller.John at orbital.com
Wed Mar 31 15:26:30 GMT 1999

After rebuilding the head on my Buick, I found that it still has no power
(starts and idles OK - no codes asserted in the ECM) and stalls when I put
the transmission in drive.  I put a timing light on #1 cylinder and noticed
it seemed to flash irregularly.  I checked the spark coil, and it seems to
be fine although the coil itself is a little loose on the frame.

I pulled the cap on the distributor and removed the EST unit for testing
and I noticed that the reluctor coil (Ohms out OK) connected to the EST is
loose.  By that I mean that it is able to move around the distributor shaft
about 5-10 degrees but not up and down the shaft.  Would this affect the
spark timing?

I also plan to check the pressure out of the fuel pump to see what else
could be going on.  Is there anything else I should check?