Accel AS&M S&P Follow up

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Tue May 11 02:11:26 GMT 1999

>--- "Chris G. Lucas" <tagurit at wwisp.com> wrote:
>> Do they offer the SupeRam stand-alone, no computer?
>> I would like that.
>
>No.  You must buy the whole system with DFI ECM.

I believe that this is an incorrect statement. If you cannot find it, I
will look up a part #. Let me know.

>> >If you are going TPI, I would suggest taking a HARD
>> look at the F-P
>> >performance (Fel-Pro/Federal Mogul) SEFI8LO
>> computer, and seriously
>> >consider spending some extra bucks for the wide
>> band O2 option for it.
>
>Super bucks.  Mega bucks.  I forgot to point out
>before that this is the MOST expensive option.

If you think FP is expensive--check out MoTeC of EFI Technology!!!! Yeeee
Hawww!!
The FP is rather good value for the dollar if you compare features,
programmability, etc. with the DFI unit, for not a lot more money. Pay
particular attention to the minimum incremental adjustment to injector
pulse width which is possible with each of these units when looking at
features. This factor becomes VERY important when trying to tune a big
motor to have decent street manners, as compared to just trying to get it
to run down a 1/4 mile!

As I said before--the Autronics unit offers the same, maybe more features
as the FP, for maybe a bit less money, but is not as friendly to
program--although it IS VERY programmable.

 It
>runs great, but you must ask yourself if it is worth
>the extra thousands of dollars.

Hardly. Check it out. Info from elsewhere:
--------------------
For folks searching for information pertaining to Speed-Pro Electronics
Engine Management Systems (formerly Fel-Pro or FP Performance) here is a
link:

http://www.tciauto.com/ecu/index_spe.htm

-----------------------

>> I have heard good stuff about it, but they don't
>> sell a manifold system,
>> do they?

The big Accel manifold is pretty decent, and should be available
separately, if not from Accel, from Lingenfelter.

>And there is no manifold system, just harness/ECM/O2
>combos.

So get the manifold, injectors , rails, and regulator from Accel, the
wiring and electronics from F-P.

>> -----------------------------------
>> >
>> >I personally would not touch either of the other
>> options (besides DFI)
>> that
>> >you mentioned with YOUR ten foot pole!
>> -----------------------------------
>> Curious, could you say why?

Because of ease and accuracy of tuning issues.

>The S&P is a great option, possibly the best if you
>are willing to spend some time re-working the tables
>in the ECM (Its a GM 730).
>
>> Degrees Duration @ .050 Int./Exh.= 226/234
>> Degrees Advertised Duration Int./Exh. 288/296
>
>This is cammy in my book.

Me too. I would go with the MSD's for this one.

>> >get your engine to idle and do light loads with the
>> MSD's, if it has a
>> big
>> >cam, even though their fuel atomization is not
>> quite as good as you get
>>
>> >with the Bosch pieces.
>
>With this cam, i don't see how anyone could even tell
>the difference in idle spray patterns.

It's done with high speed photography---

Regards, Greg