Newbie: Fiero ECM questions

Padgett 0sirius padgett at gdi.net
Fri May 14 13:06:52 GMT 1999

1227170 has *lots* of disassembiles out there (seems that the type of
person who has a Fiero is also very likely to want "more"). Since I have an
'86 V-6 4-spd, I can understand that desire.

One thing must be understood - the biggest damper on the Fiero's
performance has nothing to do with the ECM but rather its weight - almost
2500 pounds. To achieve 10 lb/hp (one mark of "high" performance), you need
250 hp, almost double what the passenger car engine in the back is rated at
(the GTO secret was to put a monster but low stressed engine in a small
car). In this case we have a mouse-motor (only 300 cc more than the
"Iron-Duke") in a realatively heavy vehicle. Shed 500 pounds of
"non-essentials" (do you really need a passenger seat ?) and you will feel
a real difference.

At 06:49 PM 5/10/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have an 86 Fiero GT (2.8L V6) and I was wondering what ECM I would have
>and if there are sites with disassemblies of this ECM. I might rebuild this
>engine to 3.1 this summer and I would like to alter the prom to work well
>with the new 'hardware'. I am also interested in building my own
>Distributorless ignition (I'm becoming an EE), but if I do, it would like
>the stock ECM control it in a way. Also my EGR tube is removed. I am
>thinking of either installing a new tube, or altering the prom for working
>without one.
>
>Sorry if these questions have been asked before, but I could not find it in
>the archives (haven't looked that long though ;-)))
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Marc
>marc at vdvossen.nl

      	A. Padgett Peterson, P.E. Cybernetic Psychophysicist
 Anti-Virus, Cryptographics, & Antique Radio Researcher
http://www.freivald.org/~padgett/index.html
 mailto:padgett at gdi.net     PGP 5.5 Key on request