INTRODUCTION

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at idirect.com
Thu Nov 4 01:52:46 GMT 1999

If I were you, I would stay away from the old Vortec CPI setup.  I have run
one of these "spider-like" thingys across my bench and am fully convinced
that it is the weirdest/dribbliest form of port fuel injection that has ever
been conceived for mass produced vehicles.  One large TBI'ish looking
injector modulates the delivery of fuel into six tubes, each of which has a
spring loaded ball/seat poppet nozzle that cracks open at a specific
pressure.  The spray quality is poor from each poppet, the dynamic response
of the system is poor, and if just one poppet starts to act funky it can
influence the others.  Fun to watch though!

The later GM Vortec engines moved to a "S"equential"CPI" setup, which is far
superior (ie; n-tiny solenoids connected to n-lines, with n-poppets), but in
my mind this is still far less desirable than a true SEFI setup for what you
or I are trying to accomplish.   The newest trucks have all reverted back to
multi-port SEFI.............

Walt.

I am in the process of researching