CSH needed here too

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Mon Nov 8 19:33:03 GMT 1999

>  Had a Pinto (71) with a 2000cc engine, ran 14.8s with two 45 DCOE webers
>on it.  Gutted, and with the big tires wouldn't go up many grades in heavy
>rain.Grumpy

!600 Alfa 101 Spider, with two 40 mm DCOE's with 34 mm chokes, GTA cams and
valve springs, 11.5:1 Forged trues in  2mm over bored sleeves. E-.70  R 14
Goodriches on Borrani mags--14.2 Lit the tires til 5000 in 2nd gear, got a
little loose again hitting 3rd. (Shifted at 7500.)

Forgot main oil galley pipe plug (up above the oil pump, behind front
cover) on a 413 Mopar. BARELY got it in (using a ball ended allen driver
AND a wobble joint extension AND a U-joint) with the pan off.  Hadda have
the #@$$%#$ pan back off to replace the rod bearings anywayz!! Grrrr.

Rebuilt the 440 CID , I-4 NA Hanomag diesel in the MF 44c loader. No oil
pr. oil pump  is on front cover, concentric with crank nose. Tried
EVERYTHING--including priming the pump back down from the filter. Nothing.
After $1,200.00 for a new oil pump, realized that a dowel pin for alining
pump housing and front cover had long since departed into the pan--and lack
of prime was prolly the real reason why the pistons had gotten into such
rough shape in the first place!! (Not enough oil pressure, and too much air
tends to keep the piston cooling jets from spraying properly!!!)

Hey--at least I got the needed replacement dowel pin along with the rest of
the new oil pump!! And--noticed that the new pump now had the offending pin
captured with a little extra bubble of material on the back side of the
pump casting and a blind hole for the dowel pin!!!!  Why do I suspect that
the boys at Hanomag had lost more than a couple of engines in this exact
same way?? ACHTUNG!!!

Greg