CSH needed here too

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 8 20:16:47 GMT 1999

At 12:33 PM 11/8/1999 -0700, you wrote:

> >  Had a Pinto (71) with a 2000cc engine, ran 14.8s with two 45 DCOE webers
> >on it.  Gutted, and with the big tires wouldn't go up many grades in heavy
> >rain.Grumpy

The 1.6 I had I bored .030 over, 10:1, Ported head, Cortina GT Intake with
32/36DGV Webber carb, Thorley header, Isky triple springs, Isky custom cam,
2.5" exhaust, 3.73 gears, 4 speed.
Would light the tires from 2500 RPM to over 7000RPM in 1,2,or 3, would bark
4 really well!
Whine from trans that went away in 4th gear my dad said was input shaft
bearings and told me to be easy on it until we found a better
trans...  Told my friend that my dad was full of beans and dumped the
clutch at 7000RPM at an intersection and started grabbing gears without the
clutch...  solid rubber and smoke across the intersection in 1st then a
good 150 feet into 2nd, hit 3rd and the engine just went ZING and the car
was slowing down... Tried all the gears including reverse... Best I could
do was a sick grinding sound.  Shaved the teeth clean off the input shaft
gear and only left 3 on the countershaft!!!   oops.
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!