ECM fault?

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 10 18:38:36 GMT 1999

At 01:29 PM 11/10/1999 -0500, Akselrud, Boris wrote:

>I am greatful for everybody's input.
>
>PS: Idle fluctuation is about 50..80 RPM, but when it falls it is causing
>roughness and shaking the whole body.

Ah..  if the idle is dropping a bit and the engine is starting to shake/get
rough when it does, then I would suspect ignition.  I can't remember the
year, but if it has a distributor, pull the rotor and look underneath.  HEI
has a way of burning through the center of the rotor and causing misfires,
also, the cap could have "carbon tracking", ie: a bit of a burnt spot where
the electricity can follow to ground instead of the plug wire.  Plug wires
themselves... if the boots at the plug end are dirty, it could be arcing
out the boot to ground causing the particular cylinder to misfire.
Could also be the ignition coil breaking down internally, if it has a
distributor, the shaft bushings could be worn causing the pickup/reluctor
to vary in spacing/timing, if it's distributorless, the cam and/or crank
sensor could be intermittent as well.
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!