VSS question & project report

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue Nov 23 21:23:13 GMT 1999

SPECTRO COATING CORP. wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> One of our ongoing projects has been putting a '90 Caprice TBI 350 in my
> friends '79 Chev 1 ton crewcab.
>
> So Far we have the motor rebuilt and installed, with the only change from
> stock being a set of  F body LT1 manifolds ( fit quite well, but the left
> side takedown flange ear had to be trimmed - I think a B body manifold would
> save that trouble) and we're using a turbo 400 instead of the 700-R4
>
> Anyway - He could use a recommendation on the most practical way for the
> VSS, I figure the choices are.
>
> 1) get the taxicab inline Vss (does anyone have a PN?)
>
> 2) use the existing Caprice speedo pickup and combine into the truck speedo
>
> 3) just go buy a used '87 truck speedo.
>
> Anybody got any ideas on what is the easiest/ cheapest route

Hi, Jason.  Does the THM 400 have a cable?  Some models have a VSS
installed.  I think the easiest way with cable is to buy an
aftermarket inline sensor that provides the correct # of signals.
Next option (IMO) is to use the 87 pickup sensor.  That might be the
first choice if there's one around for little money.  I have a sensor
which came from a turbo Sunbird that can be sent out for the right
price. ; )
Which ecm are you going to use?  How about tcc/downshift control?
Shannen