MAF vs. SD

Mike Frels frels at rosharon.camco.slb.com
Wed Oct 13 13:15:54 GMT 1999

At 11:52 PM 10/12/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Is there a problem bypassing the heater connections on the IAC body on a
>TPI throttle body?   This installation's pretty ugly as it is.... if I can
>leave that off it would make life easier.

I just did this to my '86 a couple of weeks ago. One less hose and two less
hose connections that could leak. Removing everything above the manifold
base is now a dry job. Much more sano and easier to work on.

Throttle icing may only be a problem if you live in a cool or cold and wet
part of the country. Below is a clipping from a posting from another list.

Mike Frels

------------------------
throttle icing isn't really dependant on cold weather. it's the result
of humid air dropping below the dew and frost point by virtue of the
vacuum it's under. it works kinda like this. warm air at sea level can
hold X amount of water in vapor form. if you drop the pressure, it can
no longer stay in suspension, and you get liquid water coming out of
the air. if you drop the pressure enough, the air gets cold enough to
freeze the liquid that's coming out of suspension, and you get ice.
you might have a problem on a wet, foggy, miserable day if you were
cruising at very low throttle openings for long periods, but i doubt
you will have more of a problem during winter than fall or spring. if
it makes you feel better, hook it up, but i wouldn't sweat it.