Ultrasonic Injector Cleaning

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 20 12:56:14 GMT 1999

At 12:52 PM 10/20/1999 +0800, you wrote:
>If you're looking for source of naptha(lene), mothballs / flakes
>are the place to get 'em. 99.9% pure for only a couple of
>dollars. Napthalene as a petrol additive is rumoured to
>increased octane so I tried it. I didn't notice any increase
>in anti knock properties but I did notice that my idle
>was much much smoother so it must have been doing
>something.
>
>I'm not entirely sure if naptha and napthalene are the
>same. Surely someone on the list can tell us.

Naptha is a liquid, Napthalene is a solid.
Mothballs do effectively raise the octane of gas, but they also elevate the
combustion temps immensely.  The also leave deposits of solid napthalene in
the injectors etc.
An old prank was to dump a box of mothballs in someone's gas tank... their
car would go like hell until they shut it off, then, because of the
extremely elevated cylinder temps, the rings would sieze to the cylinder
walls.  Not good for use as an octane booster!
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!