emulator

CSH-HQ nacelp at jvlnet.com
Thu Oct 21 11:48:13 GMT 1999

>>Mike, an EPROM emulator is a device that plugs into an EPROM socket but
>>really uses a static ram (or maybe flash).  Advantage is that it can be
>>re-programmed in circuit quickly, at best without shutting off the car,
>>at worst you pull over, make changes, restart, and you're on your way.
>>No EPROM programmers, no 30 minute wait for the UV eraser, etc.  When
>>you're satisfied you burn one EPROM at the end.  I don't remember the
>>particulars of this emulator, but I'd guess that it also requires a
>>laptop in the car for downloading changes, plus your favorite bin
>>editing software.
>

>sorry to drag out old news but i gotta work this out
>Pull the memcal from the ECM and plug the emulator in instead : right ?

Yes

>How do ya make the emulator do the job of the memcal ?

That is what it's job is.

>does it need programming ?

Yes, it needs the same info/bin file as the original memcal.

>is a 'bin' a binary file ?

It has it's own software to run, but needs a bin file to use as the info for
the memcal.

>Would someone send me a 'bin' so's I can see what you are playing with ?

At the FTP there's literally a 100 bin files.

>What is the favourite editing software ?

I've used GMpro with excellent results, and support.
I've used The Turbo Shop, which has fallen to no support
I've heard, but not used Ken Kelly's stuff for the flash has some happy
customers.
You need an editor for the particular application your working on.

>last but not least
>Long time ago was post regarding d/loading archives and stripping all
>the BS off them, would that post still be listed in the archives or are
>only certain posts kept ?

I've been working on that!!, I've got 14 months done, but not ready for
prime time yet.  Some months edit from 3M to 1, so lots of time, and reading
is needed to strip out all the nonsense, and early postings so that each
thread is about complete, in it's self.  I'd loaded the archives to disc and
brought them to the hospital, but turns out I can't edit each disc with this
laptop without running out of room, so for 4 months I haven't been able to
work on it.  But I've got, copied to CD what is done. So it's not going to
get lost.
I just need to get home to the "PC"..
Grumpy