Low temp thermostat

Daniel Ciobota dciobota at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 27 17:56:35 GMT 1999

Actually, I thought the post was right on target, the original post concerned
itself with the merits and drawbacks of using a low temp thermostat... which he
answered very well and had data to back his claims.  He also answered a couple
of other remarks that were made to the original post, concerning oil temps.  I
remember someone posting that lower water temps shorten bearing life... that's
completely untrue unless there's a direct coupling between oil temps and water
temps, all bearings in a motor are nowhere near water, and the function of the
oil is to _cool_ the bearings as well as reduce friction.  Piston slap _might_
be an issue with forged pistons, but if you run hypereutectic pistons (which
most cars use nowadays), that's a non-issue also.

 If anything, it was the original poster that was not conforming to the list
charter, and certainly this topic is more appropriate than the latest ford ecu
thread!

 All of us who have tried to optimize fuel and spark curves have learned that
cooler water temps allow you to run more aggressive spark advance, thereby
making more power... it's a simple function of cylinder head temperatures,
which dictate which temperature is optimal for combustion without overheating
the mixture.  From the factory, combustion temps are kept higher than optimum
for power and use a conservative spark curve, because this way they can ensure
a more complete burn, at the cost of power.  Remember the old trick for passing
emissions by retarding timing?  Increasing combustion temps achieves the same
effect, up to a point.  Good for the environment, not necessarily good for
power.

 Daniel