Injector Sizing

John_Calabrese at ENGELHARD.COM John_Calabrese at ENGELHARD.COM
Wed Oct 27 18:50:19 GMT 1999

I don't think 900 hp is an unachievable goal.  I have a 500ci BB mopar running
530 hp and 600 ft lbs of tourque on the street with mild (.509" lift, 292
duration) cam.  Agreed, 900hp is a far cry from that, but a 12-71 blower would
run all day at 7.5:1 and still go on pump gas.  Of course, all of the goodies
like h-beam rods, billet cross bolted mains are necessary at that power level,
but it can be done on the street, I've seen it done

BUT, getting the gm computer (and this is where I'm going to get slammed, sorry
to offened anyone) to work in this situation is kinda tuff.  Why would you go
and get a MOTEC or HALTEC unit that is specifically designed for this type of
application?  Yes they are expensive, but if you are going to spend the 5-10
grand and a properly built motor to handle that kind of power, why not spen the
money on the appropriate controller?

I understand this list is about doing things on the cheap, but it has its
limits.  Retro applications are cool, I am a couple of months away from
installing my own custom built MPFI setup on a 67 coronet with 383, and I think,
after reading this list for two months and spending countless hours researching
101, other sites etc.  that I will be buying an ACCEL dfi setup because I feel
for the $1000 it is the best deal out there, with the easiest tunability without
losing too much resolutionin the maps and setups.  Keep in mind for a retro
application only, If I was modifying my 87 trans am, I would definately learn
how to burn chips

900 hp on the street can be done,  if you want it bad enough......