Injector Sizing, realistic goals, etc

Aaron Willis darkmonahue at awwwsome.com
Wed Oct 27 19:50:05 GMT 1999

At 02:50 PM 10/27/99 -0400, you wrote:

>I don't think 900 hp is an unachievable goal.  I have a 500ci BB mopar
running
>530 hp and 600 ft lbs of tourque on the street with mild (.509" lift, 292
>duration) cam.  Agreed, 900hp is a far cry from that, but a 12-71 blower
would
>run all day at 7.5:1 and still go on pump gas.  Of course, all of the goodies
>like h-beam rods, billet cross bolted mains are necessary at that power
level,
>but it can be done on the street, I've seen it done

	OK, reality check time here for me.  I am building a Toyota four-banger
for fun street use and abuse.  The motor is a Japanese-twincam-headed 3T-C,
which we saw in a popular Hemi version.  My goal is 300 streetable
horsepower via supercharging.
	So far I have aquired forged pistons, IR inlet manifold, Mikuni 44
sidedraft carbs (which I can apparently convert rather easily to throttle
bodies for EFI use), and an Eaton M-90 from a Thunderbird SuperCoupe.
HEAVY (maybe air/water) intercooling, boost timing retard, knock detection,
and possibly water injection are all in the cards for this engine.
	I realize that a 90-inch blower on a 113-inch engine is a bit silly, but
my options are pretty limited on my student budget, and I can sell the
blower if it absolutely won't work.  At this point I'm not terribly keen on
a turbo, despite the fact that it would be easier to size appropriately.
	GM-ECM content: so far it looks like the most convenient/appropriate
fueling solution would be the whole harness and ECU from a turbo
Sunbird/Grand Am....7749 if I recall correctly?

	GIVEN that other people's experience indicates these engines will easily
and reliably crank out 180-200 horsepower in NA form (on carbs, usually) -
	and GIVEN that turbo cousin-versions of this same engine have been
re-turbo'd to apparently reliable 300+ horsepower figures without even
getting inside the long block -
	and GIVEN that I know I will be losing several horsepower to parasitic
drag from the blower and belt drive -
	and GIVEN that I would rather boost the motor a bit more than spin it
(building for a safe 8000 RPM, camming for peak power no higher than 7500) -

	...does anyone have any words of advice, ridicule, or encouragement?  I'm
all ears.  I know better than to say without a doubt it is going to work
perfectly first time out, but I really do want to make this thing go.

	Aaron Willis
	Garage TE51 International  http://surf.to/garage-te51
	ICQ # 27386985
	AOL IM: hemiyota