Delayed ref pulse (was Re: Spark latency correction)

Ward wspoonemore at excite.com
Tue Sep 21 03:05:44 GMT 1999

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 00:49:25 -0400, Shannen Durphey wrote:

> Ward wrote:

TDC
> > event.

Fair enough, the delay is from the falling edge of the DRP to the falling
edge of the EST signal out of the ECM.

At 3000 RPM (5000usec) 1 degree of advance is 13.88 usec, since you have 90
degrees between events, 20 deg of advance will require a delay of 90 - 20 or
70 degrees of delay, or 972 usec fron the last DRP.

The hardes thing for most people to get on to the idea that your doing spark
from the prior DRP. In truth you could be using the prior and timing from a
DRP 8 ot 10 cyl back. The limitation would be the engines ability to accell;
over comming its own polor moment of inertia.  This is a high value as
evedenced by the very high value of MAP observed when you stab a V8 that is
under no external load.

Ward

Off hand I can't think of a way to see this on a timing light.

Ward