A challenge for "aldl data stream decoders"

Paul Blackmore paul_blackmore at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 29 14:56:08 GMT 1999

Ok this is what I have "discovered" so far:

The aldl stream was generated by a GM Holden Commodore 5.0l V8 manual.
The byte stream is 56 bytes long.

The aldl stream is available as excel spreadsheet in aldl8192.zip
http://www.users.bigpond.com/paul_blackmore/CProgramming.htm

Byte Description
---- -----------------------------------
B6   Coolant Temperature
B12  Engine RPM
B14  TPS
B23  AFR
B25  Volts
B34  Speed (km/h)
B35  PromID
B36  PromID
B50  Time MSB
B51  Time LSB
---- -----------------------------------
What Ross said about the PromID (at B35 B36) seems to be right.

Other ones that should be easy to "get" if you know  stuff about
efi (I don't).
I say easy because they are VERY distinctive.

Can anyone confirm these guesses... or throw any more light
on what they might be?

Byte Description
---- -------------------------------------------------------
B4   Seems to be stepping down discretely as the engine heats up.
B5   Decays slowly, then strange jag upwards (only once)
     then decays again.
B7   Appears to be a very close mirror image of B8.
B8   Appears to be a very close mirror image of B7.
B9   Seems to be related to throttle position
     (but only when motor is running).
B10  Seems to be related to throttle position
     (but only when motor is running).
B28  Appears to be the knock sensor.
B30  Appears to be the knock retard.

Cheers