o2 readings

Diane Stowe dianes at speakeasy.org
Sun Dec 31 21:18:02 GMT 2000

Hello, a question. I thought I would test my newly installed 02 sensor prior
to my installing the new map tpi. I have a quadrajet on it now.

I presumed that the red and black were 12v+ and -, and that the gray lead
was the sensor reading. The sensor is welding in a bung that is about 5-6
inches below the passenger side exhaust manifold.

anyway, with 12 to the o2 heater, which is on all the time, I get 11mv+ at
idle and somewhere between that and 36+ mv on driving up hills or
strightaways.
It never goes below that, or negative. Is this what I should be seeing ? my
rpm never gets above 2300 due to the 700r4 and the 2:88 rear I have in the
car. I am trying to track down the cause of the poor fuel mileage, it's
about 10 mpg. that with a custom grind crower street cam, a new timing
chain, a edelbrock performer and recently 21/2 inch pipes from the exhaust
headers to the front mufflers and the installaiton of a crossover pipe after
the transmission. sadly none of these changes have helped much. I'm assuming
that the quadrajet is just running too rich, however I am not sure from
these readings.

thanks, Diane