DIS for GMECM

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Dec 5 22:28:03 GMT 2000

> So the benefit to going w/o distributor is to prevent missed/deformed
> sparks?

It's results that count, around here there is too much haggling over the
ways so, I just going with end results, anymore.

>  I always figured it was to get better timing accuracy.

That is not universally true.  More often then not yes, they can have
greater accuracy/

> I sorta
> figured you'd get more energy jumping the spark gap with coil-per-plug (is
> there a industry buzzword for this?) than with systems that use
> conventional ignition wires.  Is this not the real reason?

Simplicity is the key to design.  Fewer sparks leaping around the better.
Hard to have absolute control on 50Kv lookin for a ground.
The reason is to min power loses thru the ignition system.
Engine design and management is all about igniting a reaction, and then to
recover the energy from that reaction.  The closer you get to 100% on both
the better.
Bruce

majordomo at lists.diy-efi.org