TPI Runner Question

timsiford at hushmail.com timsiford at hushmail.com
Wed Dec 6 19:42:32 GMT 2000

Wayne,

First, I am not the one here who is having this problem ... I am just lending
some insight since I have experience with both systems.

However, although upgrading to the '89 code is a great solution, that route
will not work.  The problem is that this guy has NO driver's side tube that
connects the IAC to the air stream.  He installed 89+ runners on his pre
'89 vehicle.  Basically, he is using a mismatched plenum/runner combo.
Those pieces were never meant to work together and they will not work together
regarding the IAC.  The '89 code is great.  But, it does not cure the fact
that his IAC air has NO PATH to get into the air steam.  The IAC air on
Pre '89 TPIs goes from the TB directly into the special passageway on the
plenum.  This special passageway vents into the 'special' driver's side
runner tube.  He is missing this tube.  This means that the IAC air is trapped
in the passageway.

Bruce - the TB's IAC outlet on pre '89 TPIs mates with the entrance to the
'special' passageway of the plenum.  Thus, if you don't have the correct
runner that mates with the plenum then the IAC does NOTHING because the
IAC air has never gets into the incoming air.

Tim

Tim