Adding another O2 sensor

timsiford at hushmail.com timsiford at hushmail.com
Wed Nov 1 20:09:52 GMT 2000

Car = 1990 IROC-Z
>From the factory these cars have one O2 in the driver's side exhaust manifold.

Since I will be installing Hooker long tubes I have been contemplating the
installation of an O2 sensor in the passenger side header as well as the
driver's side header.  Then, I was thinking of running a SPDT toggle switch
so that I could switch between the O2s to determine how one side of the
engine is running as compared to the other side.

Just figured I would throw this out into the air since the list is pretty
dead today.  Besides the obvious con of the extra expense ... can anyone
think of a reason not to do this (besides the whole geek factor)?  Would
the fact that O2s are not accurate be enough of a reason for not doing this?
 If so, then why is it that later F-bodies run an O2 sensor for each side
of the engine (one for each bank of injectors).

Heh heh - wouldn't it be cool if WB O2s were cheap and we could install
a WB O2 into EACH primary tube of the header and then tune each cylinder
for maximum power through sequential fuel injector tuning?  That would be
really cool.  Yea - I know I am just wishing ... sometimes its cool to wish.

Tim