Edge board scanners

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Sat Nov 4 04:58:39 GMT 2000

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> For the folks working on Scanners.
> You just have to see what an edge board connector scanned data looks like.
> Been using a Direct Scan (1227148 ecm specific).
> 18 frames a sec., data logging.
> And for you guys working on them already, they are the answer...

What's the status of this - DIY, or some other arrangement? Cost? I'd
be interested in purchasing one of these units just to play around with.

Without suggesting that "edge board scanning" isn't a really great way to
do it, remember that the ALDL port can pump out about 800 bytes a second.
At 18 frames a second, that's maybe 50 bytes per frame (assuming some header
overhead). With the right instructions on your ECM, and cutting that back to
say 10 bytes per frame, that's say - 60-70 frames a second.

Okay, this all assumes both the ECM firmware, and the PC based software
are all working properly (ie. excludes code written in GW basic!). It also
assumes modified ALDL ECM code. This is just the "other way" to do logging
for those of us that have the ability to modify the ECM instructions.

Peter