Edge board scanners

Carl Ijames ijames at netaxs.com
Sat Nov 4 06:26:20 GMT 2000

> > For the folks working on Scanners.
> > You just have to see what an edge board connector scanned data looks like.
> > Been using a Direct Scan (1227148 ecm specific).
> > 18 frames a sec., data logging.
> > And for you guys working on them already, they are the answer...
>
> What's the status of this - DIY, or some other arrangement? Cost? I'd
> be interested in purchasing one of these units just to play around with.
>
> Without suggesting that "edge board scanning" isn't a really great way to
> do it, remember that the ALDL port can pump out about 800 bytes a second.
> At 18 frames a second, that's maybe 50 bytes per frame (assuming some header
> overhead). With the right instructions on your ECM, and cutting that back to
> say 10 bytes per frame, that's say - 60-70 frames a second.
>
> Okay, this all assumes both the ECM firmware, and the PC based software
> are all working properly (ie. excludes code written in GW basic!). It also
> assumes modified ALDL ECM code. This is just the "other way" to do logging
> for those of us that have the ability to modify the ECM instructions.

The 7148 is a C3 ecm transmitting aldl data at 160 baud or a frame every
1.4ish seconds.  DirectScan is a way to get much faster data.  See
http://www.chuengineering.com/ for details.  It costs about $250.  I agree
that it's not really needed on the 8192 baud ecm's, but getting just one
aldl frame in first and maybe 2-3 in seconds makes tuning up the 60'
pretty tough :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames     ijames at netaxs.com