Call for standards: EPROM/cal editing

Eric Aos EOA at spartek.com
Sat Nov 4 15:10:18 GMT 2000

I don't begrudge Terry for charging for his work. Writing the software is
easy compared to dissecting the bin's to get the correct data locations. I
also wouldn't expect a commercial package to adhere to a universal standard
for ECU files, that is their lifeblood. It would be nice if the free editors
did though (That is why we write them isn't it? to share?) or at least
provide a means for translating from one to the other...

Ps... the idea of a free graphical way to create ECU's sounds most useful..
hint hint, anyone up to the challenge?

Eric Aos

Well, I can say this. I've used next to nothing, and I mean next to nothing
from the open discussions I've seen here to make my program. I own none of
the competitons programs. I have the listings or I've figured it out myself.
Have I asked tons of questions? You bet, but 99% private. Did the people
know I was making the program and EPE files and would sell it? Yep, in fact
that's what has driven the ones I've done. Demand. How did I get the lists?
>From various places. Contacts are the key. However, ANY ONE that has helped
essentially gets free dibs on anything I've written. If there is anyone that
thinks I abused them after receiving information, let me know. I think I've
been pretty fair about the whole thing. I know I don't share too much in
details on this list, but privately I've been pretty open.

My program was not created from the wealth of information here. It was
created with the wealth of assistance from other people and hard
time-consuming work. I've tried to give them back what they gave me.

Terry

Question, why is it that some listers can sell their EFI related products
created from the wealth of info here without ramifications, and others are
lynched for the same thing. Seems inconsistent treatment to me. Terry Kelly
comes to mind for ex. but there are others.

JW