Call for standards: EPROM/cal editing

Dig turbodig at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 4 17:09:25 GMT 2000

Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 22:43:58 -0800
From: "TK" <terryk at foothill.net>
Subject: Re: Call for standards: EPROM/cal editing

The format for GMEPro's EPE files is readily available
but few people have
taken advantage of that. They just want me to keep
cranking out EPE files.
That's fine by me.  The sharing of home-brewed EPE
files is fine by me, but
I don't want the one's I supplied floating around any
more than they are.
During the program's early development, I released the
format of GMEPro's
EPE files and noticed it found it's way into at least
one other program.
That's cool too.
I don't think any of us relish the idea of rewriting
the files so the other
editors can read them. It's a fair amount of work and
I'm sure each of us
have little differences that would make them
incompatible (or we'd argue
until the next coming of Christ on what to do).
Frankly, for the non-shareware programmers, it is MP3
in the making. No
doubt, if I opened up the EPE files, it would further
the "knowledge base of
the DIY community." But for me, I sell the EPE files
rather than the
program. That's where the real work is located.
I hope that makes sense without sounding too
dick-headed.Terry

I don't think it sounds that way at all... you've
got a lot of work into GMEPRO and the EPE files,
and I don't blame you for not wanting to make it
easier for the people who are too cheap to pay for
a legal copy. I don't want that happening, either.

Pesonally, I'd buy GMEPRO if it came with the ability
for me to define the file, and add my own tables in
custom locations. GMEPRO is pretty tough to beat on
older DOS platforms, which is what most of us are
kicking around on the floors of our cars.

I actually think an open file def (that GMEPRO could
read) would sell more GMEPRO packages for you... you'd
get people who currently aren't buying because there
isn't an EPE in existance for their app, and they
don't want to pay the going rate for you to create the
EPE. ($10,000, or $300 if I supply the info)

Basically, what the file def would provide is a
mechanism for the "real work" part of the editor could
be placed in the hands of the end user, and he could
take it as far as he had the time or inclination to.

I'm also starting to see that there would be a great
need for an EPE/ECU/TDF editor that would save to any
of the formats, which would provide a "conversion"
utility for the varying formats. This would minimize
the need for folks like yourself and TunerCat to
change
your existing code, and it would give you access to a
whole base of def files that you never had before.

Later,
Dig
turbodig at yahoo.com