J N's MiniRam backfire

timsiford at hushmail.com timsiford at hushmail.com
Thu Nov 9 17:10:08 GMT 2000

JN,

Yes, there are many MiniRammed MAF cars running absolutely fine.  The system
will work.  The 730 is just slightly easier to Tune IMHO and other's opinions.
 But, you can make the MAF system work ... it will just require a little
more time and experimentation.

I would begin with those 30lb injectors.  Are they new injectors?  The reason
that I am suggesting this is because if the 30s are new then this would
rule out a MECHANICAL injector problem.  Plus - with the MiniRam it only
takes about 1/2 hour to swap injectors.  Then, put the fuel pressure at
around 44 and burn a new PROM with the injector constants set to 33lb/hr.
 Now, I know I am comparing apples to ... hmm ... pears, but my 730 MiniRam
system runs great with the 30's.  The 30's should not be too big.  There
are plenty of MAF cars running 30's.

If you still have the backfire once the 30s are installed (which should
happen if this is not an injector issue) then I would play with the Fuel
Pressure just to see if you can make the situation go away by INCREASING
the fuel pressure.  NOTE: I AM ONLY SUGGESTING THIS AS A QUICK AND DIRTY
METHOD FOR DETERMINING IF THIS PROBLEM IS FUEL RELATED.  If the problem
did go away then you would NOT want to keep the pressure up that high.
This will fook up your BLMs everywhere and you run the possibility of going
lean in the upper RPMs if your fuel pump can't supply enough fuel at that
pressure.  This will just tell you if it is a fuel issue.  If the problem
goes away then you want to put the FP back to normal and begin playing with
the fuel curves to make the situation go away.

Tim