4.1 FI

Darryl & Karen Smith darrylkarensmith at netzero.net
Fri Nov 10 01:21:52 GMT 2000

Thanks for the reply.
This engine has been running for 3 years pretty much like it is.  I planned
for it to have a distributor because I figured that whatever timing that was
pulled out for the additional air flow would compensate for the increased
compression. Any additional timing adjustments could be made with the dist.
I homemade the distributor because the stock type disributor was one of the
huge HEI type and it wouldn't work with the GN intake. If I could afford to
start over again I'd choose a system that was DIS and Sequential FI, but
that would require more money than I currently have.   I also can't afford
to take the vehicle out of service to change it all over.  (It's my daily
driver)  What I meant by knowing the timing is that I know what the engine
requires considering the compression,cam, rod length,etc.  I am one of those
automotive "technicians" ya'll have been talking about but I know a great
deal more about engine performance than probably any you've met.  The engine
needs about 5 degrees at WOT at 1000rpm building to about 32 at 3000 rpm
with a load based addition for part throttle accel. and cruising.  The park
ave. timing curve has way to much load advance variation.  What I also know
is that the Lv8 counts get to 255 at about 1/3 throttle from a dead stop.
The park ave 3.8 was only a 145hp engine and I'm over 200 with this cam and
compression.  I'm pretty much stuck with the setup I have but with proper
tuning I know that the car is capable of 250hp and 25 mpg.  By the way, the
car is a '76 Buick Skyhawk. (Looks like Chevy Monza Spyder about 2800lbs)
With the PROM ID code (51), I have to start the engine with my scanner
plugged in to prevent limp mode,  then can unplug it if I want to. Also,
What do I have to do to get the Winbin program?  What about the checksum
question?
Thanks again.