Question about WOT table in $8D bin

Len Sabatine sabatine at epix.net
Thu Nov 16 02:27:38 GMT 2000

There are "Real Time" AFR devices which display the actual result , unfortunate
though , not affordable for DIY projects. These sorts of devices are most
helpful
in WOT conditions , when O2  responses are ignored and controller uses fixed
table lookup for the AFR values. For instance ,Exxon - Mobils' lab can look
inside
the chamber , record  infrared and  combustion pressure curves , still ,
they don't
have all the answers. Consider the Fuel component itself as being a BIG
variable.
If you line up 10 of the same engine profile , each has its own slightly
different
personality, which the factory compensates for with compromise built in  to
the
control routines. One such compromise is running a bit fat @ WOT to suppress
detonation and make the engine live longer , cutting warranty costs and makes
the "average" vehicle owner happy with the increased longevity and less out
of pocket maintenance $. Factories don't build em for us to race.
  When we jack in more fuel and spark , they may run faster , usually they
don't live as long , there's always a price to pay watching the rev counter
continually fly by 6000. Anyone who tells us it costs no more to spin to 7000
is just blowing smoke. The faster you go the more it costs, of which there's
NO doubt in my mind. Many times we think what something is supposed to be,
later we find that it's not, especially in the interpretation of E- PCM
generated
data responses that aren't real time data.
Len