Diesel EFI

sapearso at collins.rockwell.com sapearso at collins.rockwell.com
Thu Nov 16 08:15:18 GMT 2000

Have a bit of a strange one, see if anyone can help. I have a 94 Chevy
truck with a 6.5 turbo diesel. It's having a cold start problem.  After
cycling the glow plugs, you have to hold it about quarter to half throttle
to get it to start, then it smokes alot (like can't see thru it alot).
Here's what's been done recently: new electronic injection pump, new crank
sensor, new timing chain & gears. The injectors were 'pop' tested while the
engine was apart and checked good.
  The first injection pump I put on was faulty. I took it to the dealer and
they put the second one on. The first one not only had the cold start
problem, but it also stumbled off idle, no matter how warm. This one runs
great once it's started. The dealer told me that it was probably a crank
sensor. Put the o'scope on it and it looks fine.

Any ideas???

Scott Pearson
sapearso at collins.rockwell.com