Transez. was:New bin...

Romans, Mark romans at starstream.net
Thu Nov 23 18:42:46 GMT 2000

GM changed the designations to try and remove confusion.
125, 125c (With clutch converter)
Now called 3T40

First designation is always the number of speeds in the trans.

Second designation is
T = Transverse mounted
L = Longitudinally mounted

Third = relative torque capacity in Newton-Meters

Fourth (If applicable) is E for Electronically shifted.
So   Old designation   New designation
        125 and 125c        3T40
        44T4                        4T60 and 4T60E
        700R4                    4L60 and 4L60E
        TH400                    4L80 and 4L80E

There are a ton more too!

Mark