eprom for 747

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Nov 25 18:29:10 GMT 2000

> ok, so I'll take a look at the arpc bin, and if I'm not mistaking, that
> should be a $42?  Is there some way to change the rear end gear ratio in
the
> bin, or to even check to see if it is correct?   Because when using Tuner
> from tunercats, I can only edit fuel and timing related values.  And is
> there a way I can plug in data link with the ecm while driving, and even
> record?  I know there is diacom, but it is quite expensive, about 300$, is
> there any other programs, that would work pretty much the same and would
be
> a bit cheaper?

On the mask 42 there is no entry for final gear ratio.
The final gearing limits the way the engine can accept timing and fuel.

If we were to compare the same car/truck/van, with everthing identical but
the finally gearing, a few thing would pop into view.  Just for a
comparision, I'll be using 4.11s as a high gear set, and 2.74s as low.
  The higher gear setted motor, would get more AE (accelleration
enrichment), and the timing would drop off slower leaving cruise and going
to WOT
  the cruise VE might be a little lower with the Higher gears also.
  The higher rear gears, pose less of a load, so the engine engine can
change speed faster, and that must be accounted for or performance and
drivibility will suffer.
   Also to, the limits for knock retard might be set differently.
   Then on really vastly different combs the IAC limits may change.
This is why I suggest to start with an oem chip similiarly as possible to
what you're running.
   Couple weeks ago I reprinted the timing table out of my XFire,  that was
a 355 cammed SBC in a car carrying 3.23s, and weights 3K lbs.  You notice a
whole area where the timing dropped to -6d.  That was because, it would just
light the tires so hard as to be useless to run any more then that.
   Which brings up, the flash speed of the converter, or how fast the clutch
is used,  it's is conceivable, that you might even have to consider some
clutch slippage in the tuning of a real hot car.
   Then as you get to other ecms they need more gear information.
Now that I think about it, there might be some gearing issues, in a 42 but
**not serious** ones.
For a full hac of the 42 try finding the ecmguys page,  there is a copy
there
HTH
Bruce

Thanks