Auto Power Environment

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 27 20:33:58 GMT 2000

> though, is where they came up with the number 42? (Yes I know, it is the
> meaning of life :)

I thought it was the answer to the question... but nobody has figured out
the question yet. ;)

> systems.  I've heard that utility substations use 100VDC for some reason.
> but 42V?!

Actually, we use 120 VDC in our substations (but 48 VDC is found in our
older ones). Do that for the battery backup, in case the sub loses AC power,
we can still control it through the large battery array. (my "real job"
deals with specialized control equipment found in substations, the
communications equipment, etc).

Telephone and paging system equipment uses -48 VDC. Wacky world we live in.

-Andrew