Ecm role expanding?

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon Nov 27 23:20:12 GMT 2000

Just a curiousity.
Remember what a sensation the original Camaros, and Mustangs were?.
Well the Camaro is being cancelled, and may others have been already for
just getting being so ridiculously overpriced, in part because of all the
eye candy.
I just wonder if the whole market just gets to where it goes critical mass
and collapses as a function of being just too over priced.
Personally, I consider myself smart enough to when I want my headlights,
wipers, and heater on.  Seems like all the bells and whistles are removing
the driver from the equation.   If you don't like to *worry* about
headlights and such, there is the bus.
  Using a ecm as a pcm does make sense from an emissions point of view, but
is see nothing else that is better then a human user all situations,
including ABS, and traction control.
   If emissions was a real issue, A/C would habe been outlawed years ago.
IMO
Bruce

>      Gees , nothing new for GM, along with Temp and Rain sense windshields
> , sun load , tire pressure monitors ,
>      and HVAC , to name a few . PCMs have , OR,  Are "taking over"  ,
> they've  become "deterministic" as well.
>      Vehicle lane position sense , built in "breath O Lizers ", Variable
> valve timing and 42 volts are soon to release.
>      Look @ Saab Variable Cr engine for instance . Smart cars are here
Now.