SHORT, and related to EFI ( was Re: PCV valve for TPI)

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Wed Oct 4 02:30:31 GMT 2000

In a message dated 10/03/2000 11:24:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ECMnut at aol.com writes:

<< Okay, I admit I haven't read every one of your posts, and every response.
  I'm clearly not as helpful to "the new kids" as Shannen & BP are..
 I'm probably just hardened by profiteers posing as newbies
     "working on nothing more than a personal project".
 QUESTION:
 Did you clearly state in your intro, the nature of your business?

                         Yes [ ]              No [ ]

  I can honestly say, I don't know the answer to that (I delete alot of
 stuff without reading it), but I assume you do.
 OR
 did you appear to be a "green-horn" looking
 for help from the ever generous few that never get burned out? >>

Well, I went back and found my first post here which was on 8/1/00 or
thereabouts. The date on my website is 8/20/00, so I think I decided to try
and make money selling TPI setups after I heard from the experts here that
the professional chip tuners (TPIS, Hypertech, etc.) were not that
professional. I first installed a MAP TPI on my truck and a MAP TBI on my
Wagoneer before I ever offered the "kits" for sale. I realized how great it
made my truck run and so I decided to help others get GM fuel injection on
their vehicles. Most people that ask me about my skills know nothing about GM
fuel injection and don't really want to other than to know that I am capable
of doing what I say I can do. Anyone who asks a question that tells me they
know more than the average person, I refer to this site or I tell them to
look into Accel DFI. Many people don't mind paying a fee to get good service
and as long as I am comfortable selling a service, I see no problem with it.
If someone were to ask me how to get there ETs from 13.1 to 12.1, I would say
I can't help you, but I would tell them to ask here or maybe contact someone
here off list.

As for me being an expert in fuel injection, I will use a Tiger Woods
analogy. If Tiger Woods asked me for help, I would tell him to call Butch
Harmon. Of course Butch charges $5000 an hour. If a man at the driving range
asks me how to grip the club, I would help him with no problem. If a man at
the range sees how far I hit the ball and says, I will pay you to teach me
everything you know about golf, I will say ok, it will take 10 lessons at $50
an hour. After that, you will have to learn the finer points on your own by
practicing. I consider my questions here as gripping the club type stuff. If
someone asks me to build them a fuel injection system, I consider that a $500
job. If someone asks me to tune a chip for their supercharged big block
engine with 10.5:1 CR, I will tell them to call on Bruce Plecan (Butch
Harmon). There are varying degrees of experts in the world, and each has
their place. I see no harm in taking used materials (conserves natural
resources) and building a fuel injection system that saves gasoline and
improves emissions ( improves the environment) and getting paid for that
service.

Also, my website reflects a lot of what I have learned here but also from
reading Chevrolet Fuel Injection by Ben Watson. I paraphrased the info into a
very concise FAQ about how to get a TPI system on a car. Most guys that ask
me technical questions get free advice about how to convert to speed density
or tune their own chip. But if I am asked, "I read your  website and I want
TPI on my car. How can you help me?", well I see nothing wrong with charging
for this service. Its more cleaning parts and buying sensors than anything
else.

Starting a business is hard work. There is lots of overhead work before any
money is ever made. And if any of you ever think you want to start a
business, ask me off list what its like.