Oxygen Sensor Replacement - Try A Redundant Ground Lead

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at home.com
Sun Oct 15 20:41:01 GMT 2000

This may get covered below, (I haven't read that far yet),  but you might
also want to peruse the following heated O2 sensors since you said earlier
that you also have custom exhaust headers in your application.

AFS 40  (25108302)
AFS 45  (25132086)
AFS 60  (25132529)

Why these sesnsors?  Well, they are all heated single wire type zirc O2's,
**BUT** they also have a redundant ground sense lead.   In a normal OE O2
single wire sensor setup, the threads of the shell are expected to ground
thru the cast exhaust manifolds and eventually connect to the ground plane
of the cylinder block, to which the ECM/PCM lo-signal sense circuits wll
also be coupled.  If you add custom headers in between, you often will have
also introduced high temp coatings, high temp silicones,  non-conductive
gaskets, etc.,  all of which can mess with your electrical connectivity
between the sensor shell and the engine block.  That's why the redundant
ground lead is handy.  Just connect it to the cylinder block, and then do
whatever you want with your custom exhaust system.  One way or the other,
(through either the lead or the shell) you will be connected and operating
as intended.

For those of using using non-heated O2's with custom exhaust systems, the
following P/N is applicable.

AFS 23  (25106169)

These are all direct screw-in functional equivalents, for the most part, but
they may require some connector fiddling/adaptation depending upon exactly
what you are trying to accomplish.

HTH's
Walt.