Gas mileage and headers

Marteney, Steven J. smarteney at xlvision.com
Thu Oct 26 14:02:54 GMT 2000

Well, that is very interesting.  I installed the headers with less than a
1/4 tank.  Ran that out and filled up.  Ran the car for 1.5 days (work
trips) and took a sick day.  Ran it for 1 day after that, which was a
Friday, and I was left with a little less than 1/4 of a tank for the
weekend.  That lasted me til Sunday.  Sunday afternoon I decided to the bump
the timing to 10, from 8.  Sunday night I filled up and checked the mileage.
It was 17.3.  3 days later, with more highway miles in this tank, I fill up
again and it's 16.7.  (The norm had been 18.0)

I re-checked the timing this morning and it had slipped to 8 deg.  Don't
know how or why, distributor was still tight.  Set it again to 10.  I'll run
this tank through and check again.

I've got a question on the EGR aspect.  If truly this combo now has less
self EGR and therefore uses a bit more fuel, can I compensate for this by
porting the EGR?  What I mean is, these aftermarket EGR valves always come
with multiple sized washers and you pick the one from a table corresponding
to your car.  Can I install a larger inner diameter washer between the EGR
and intake manifold?  Just a thought, what do you think?  Is it worth a try.

Thanks all,
Steve