Running a 88-89 W car PROM in a 90 T(Lumina) with 3.1 v6

David Papworth papworth at ichips.intel.com
Thu Oct 26 22:51:20 GMT 2000

All of the open loop operational modes will run 10 percent too lean.
This includes start, cold idle, warm-up, and WOT accelleration.
The engine will most likely run OK (might have some cold stumbling
and lean miss-fire). Full-throttle performance will be less than
it should be. Might be lean enough to cause knocking and retarded
spark.

Closed-loop modes, where the oxy sensor is functional, should compensate
out for the larger displacement by increasing fuel above what the look-up
tables are calling for. This includes warm idle and warm cruise.

Putting the correct PROM in place should help full-throttle performance
and cold driveability. Gas mileage might be better or worse, depending
on whether the lean mixture was working OK for the engine, or whether
it was mis-firing/knocking.

But since the engine spends most of
its time in closed loop, and the ECM should be able to compensate,
the overall effect on part-throttle power and gas mileage should
not be dramatic.