DIY WB update

Brian L Massey blocklm at juno.com
Tue Aug 14 02:22:48 GMT 2001

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:35:12 -0400 "Bruce" <nacelp at bright.net> writes:

>The 12.5-13:1 might keep a N/A engine happy, but I know of
> lots of turbo motors that like richer then that.

OK great, I wanted to ask about this. I'm just beginning to study boost
as a possible addition to our project engine. First, other than the Bell
and McInnis (sp?) books, can you recommend anything? Neither of those
books go much into intercooling, although the McInnis book has a just
fantastic section on computing parameters for the turbo itself, from the
turbo maps. I'm looking for something along the same lines in technical
detail, but on intercoolers. Any suggestions?

Second (sorry for all the questions :), could you or anyone else say the
rough range of afr that a turbo motor likes to see? If we assume the
sweat-spot for NA engines is around 12.5, is there any roughly similar
rule of thumb for boost? If there isn't any "rule" like the 12.5, then
maybe those using boost could say what afr their engines seem to like.
Again, I'm just trying to get a rough handle on this as a learner. Tnx.

Brian