V6 Vortec to V8 Vortec Conversion

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Mon Aug 20 12:06:00 GMT 2001

> From: Scott & Jennifer Peitzsch [mailto:jlg-sep at mediaone.net]
> Subject: Re: V6 Vortec to V8 Vortec Conversion
>

> >   It's really quite a
> > > mild cam - my car pulls about 18" of vacuum at idle - but
> still can let a
> > > 350 breathe up to about 5800 RPM or so.
> >
> > The HOT cam generates similar vacuum readings.
> > Shannen
>
> That I can attest to - HOT cam in a '96 B-car LT1 making 16"
> at idle with an
> ever-so-mild lope to it.

It now appears that the ol' 350 had a vacuum leak, judging by what you guys
are saying.  I always suspected that (due to some odd differences in the
left and right BLMs), but I could never find it.

Regardless, the ZZ3 is a nice daily-driver cam, especially for those with
steep rear-end gears and tight convertors..  Given the usage of my SS, the
HOT cam probably would have been a better choice, but I didn't have the
gears or convertor for it at that time (yep, another case of doing mods in
the incorrect order).

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.bryantperformance.com