94 Buick LaSabre Hi Idle and no Speedometer

Bob Valentine bob at tecmark.com
Tue Aug 28 04:16:50 GMT 2001

The high idle could be due to a lot of things.   No or incorrect IAC
control for some reason is most likely the cause, and the VSS has a lot to
do with idle.   The park/neutal switch can also get involved, as could a
major vacuum leak.

In the '747 TBI ECM the ECM resets the IAC motor over a certain MPH so that
the ECM knows where "0" or full in is.  No VSS and it eventually doesn't
know where the IAC pintle is at.     No VSS on a '730/'727, decel idle and
idle in general can get wierd since the ECM doesn't know if it's
transitioning from movement to stop or vice-versa.

So given that the high idle coincided with the speedo not working, it's a
good guess to start with that circuit and it's related parts.

-> Bob Valentine
-> bob at tecmark.com

At 11:00 PM 8/27/2001 -0300, you wrote:
>So why would his engine idle high? (that's another story i'm guessing).
>
>Sounds like some odd ECM problems.
>
>Shannen Durphey wrote:
>
>> Russ & Renee Pelfrey wrote:
>> >
>> > I have a 94 Buick LaSabre 92k miles 3.8L engine, OBD-1 compliant but
with OBD-II Connector.  The pin outs used in the connector are 4,5,8,9,14,16.

>> > Problem:
>> >
>> > Last week the Ser. Eng. lamp came on and the speedometer stopped
working along with the cruise control.  Also, the engine idles very high.
prob. at about 3k rpm.  I have replace the VSS to no avail. Please advise,
I don't want to pay $600 for 30 min and a $50 part.