Turbo V8

AntiVenmVette007 at aol.com AntiVenmVette007 at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 23:23:46 GMT 2001

In a message dated 08/28/2001 2:30:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
nacelp at bright.net writes:

> Single is a heck of alot easier.
> With that small of turbos, you'll have trouble trying to get to a lot less
> then 6K, in my opinion.
> Might just think about sliding a 86-87 Gn drivetrain in it.

   Single a lot easier?? The only way that I can picture single being easier
is if I get one big turbo (drastically increasing lag, might I add) and using
stock exhaust (if the longer path of gas eliminates the need for custom
headers) the only good thing I can think of would be the lack of a second
support bracket. But, If sticking to my original plan, 2 turbos, roughly 1/2
the size needed of a single turbo, small (yet very sturdy, and SSteal)
J-Tubes, I only need to shorted the stock exhaust about 6"  further
eliminating the need for custom exhaust work, and the only thing making this
any more complicated then a Single Turbo would be the necessitation of a
second bracket for turbo support. Lets do a little pro/con list so that its a
little clearer why I steer so much toward the Twin setup.
    Single Turbo....
1) Excessive Lag (relatively speaking, ofcoarse)
2) Less space, as one big turbo, on one side, apposed to 2 smaller, one on
either side (remember, its a vette)
3) Less expensive/Less complicated exhaust plumbing. (2 banks, 2 sets of
equal length headers (stock, I hope),a big plus, 2 exact/mirror copy,
J-Tubes, and the use of the nearly unmodified cat back stock exhaust, No 2
into 1 back into 2 type thing.
4) Much easier to find 2 identical, small turbos, than one BIG one large
enough for a V8.

 My next big worry would be the MAF. Blow through or draw through?? and can
it support boost pressures around 7-10 psi or greater??
   Justin