Palm interface for the '7747

Reid Bishop rbish at ibm.net
Mon Feb 12 03:59:04 GMT 2001

Had lots of requests about my Palm interface to a '7747.

My Palm currently only interfaces to a '7747 ECM (160 Baud only).  This
required a hardware interface, as the Palm couldn't possibly do the 160 baud
C3 protocol.  I first prototyped a hardware interface with a Rabbit
development board from Z-World.  I then built a KISS style hardware
interface using a PIC processor after I got the Palm all up and running.
Incidentally, this interface has been tested on a '8062 and some strange ECM
in a 2.8 Izuzu Rodeo.  All work equally well, however a couple of the
bitfields in the ALDL stream remain a mystery.

Basically, my hardware interfaces read the 160 baud interface, convert it,
and output an ASCII stream at 19,200 or 38,400 bps.  The Palm then reads in
this ASCII stream and displays all of the important data from the ALDL
stream.  Still not _storing_ in the Palm, but I store things on the Rabbit
for now.

This setup came in real handy on a recent trip from Colorado to Texas and
back.  I was able to watch how the tuning on my 4.3 equipped Cherokee
behaved as I dropped from 6300 feet in elevation down to 1000 ft.  All in
all, the ECM did pretty well most of the way, although it did tend to get
'fat' at lower elevations.

The Palm software is still in flux, and needs more work to be useful.