165 $6E cold idle

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Tue Feb 13 22:44:31 GMT 2001

I can understand your confusion with the mat temperature. I haven't
quite figured it all out yet either. I do know that when the sensor is
in the air cleaner it is an IAT (intake air temp), as opposed to mat.
The code that I have seen handles it differently.

Apparently the mat picks up heat from the surrounding manifold. How
much is from radiated or transferred through the sensor body is a
good question. I know that as the air moves through the manifold it
picks up heat. Slow air more, faster air less. Then the faster air starts
heating up due to friction. Maybe the sensor is located in a 'dead'
area, not much air flow past it. On TPI's I think it is mounted in the
back of the manifold.

Additional heating is done by the throttle body coolant passage
along with the egr.

To see how an IAT is handled check the azty hac of mask $88. This
engine uses a sensor mounted in the aircleaner housing. The canister
type as the Firebird you have.

Here is the math I did for temp change vs AFR change (well only the
answers):

Going from 14.7:1 afr at 102F to 0F makes the afr 17.9:1

Going from 14.7:1 afr at 0F to 102F makes the afr 12.0:1

So, the change is significant.

I've added an IAT sensor & support code to the ecm I'm currently
using. It will be interesting to see how it works out. I suspect that BLM
changes will be less.

BobR.

p.s. on the $8D mask, '730, the egr is enabled by the mat temp.