'165 Minimum Air Question...

OneSS2NV at aol.com OneSS2NV at aol.com
Wed Feb 14 04:04:18 GMT 2001

Hello all,
   I was curious if anyone can give some tips on setting the Minimum Air for
an '87 '165 F-body?  The spec given is 450 rpms, but it seems too low.  I
have it set there, and when I shift from Park or Drive into Reverse, the RPMs
drop too low and the car stalls.
   The motor is a 305 with a mild Crane 2031 roller cam and World Products
Heads (basically stock, with 1.94/1.50 valves), so should I assume that it
needs a bit more RPM to keep the computer happy?  Is this a case of "give the
car what it wants, not what the book says?"

      Thanks in advance,
         Steve Ragusa
          North Jersey
'85 Monte SS with '87 F-body TPI