Emulator + Editor ?????

Eric Aos eoa at spartek.com
Thu Feb 15 01:20:06 GMT 2001

That would be me... or at least I have been working on one. It worked a year
ago on the bench, but for the last year it's been kicking my butt. Couldn't
get it to download a good image, nor could several others. Today it is
working again, and I know why.... DON'T let a CE line float :(
84 pins, and I only missed one. Anyhow after a year of getting my ass kicked
by it, I think it's ready to try in a real car again. Here's the spec.'s for
those interested...

1. 64K DP Ram.
2. Serial Connection to a PC for download.
3. ALDL circuitry built in (activated by pin 7, the commonly available
   ALDL monitor programs will work with it as they are) It will switch
   back and forth from monitor to emulator automatically.
4. There is a 28 pin socket so that you can read the stock chip.
5. The DP Ram has a battery backup.
6. The board is small enough to fit inside a '730 case. With only the
   9 pin connector, and 1 or 2 indicator LED's sticking out.
7. By making your own ribbon cable to jumper from the Emulator to your
   ECM, you can use it for any size EPROM you have, from 1 bit to 64K.
   Just connect the desired address lines, and leave the others
   disconnected.
8. Since it is DP Ram, you can write to it while the engine is running.
   (Theoretically you could be at full throttle, and change the timing,
   without hurting the motor.)
9. It is completely integrated with WinBin, so you can Upload/Download
   the entire EPROM contents, or download changes as you make them.
10.The communication protocol is ASCII, and open. So any editor
   could be modified, or written that will talk to it.
11.Cost.... cheap, or at least worth the price :)

Eric Aos
http://www.spiritone.com/~eoa/Cars/EFI/Emulator.htm