P4 ECM #1227748 questions

Nick McAlpin nmcalpin at quiknet.com
Fri Feb 16 07:36:02 GMT 2001

A few (hopefully basic!) ECM programming questions.

My questions will be pertaining to how the ECM handles the IAC
stepper motor and the hot idle engine RPM and how it's set.

I own an 88 4cyl Fiero 5spd.  I have not verified that the stock ECM
is in it but it should be a P4 1227748 according to online
references.  The engine is completely stock spec, including the
195 thermostat.  Car is running fine, passes california smog, no
check engine light, etc.

Observation: The ECM programming has the annoying habit of not
setting the hot idle unless the car is at a complete stop.  I can
start the car up totally cold, and it high-idles (~2000rpm) as
expected.  I can then drive for an hour on the highway (i get directly
onto the highway without ever coming to a complete stop after
starting the engine).  when i finally come off the highway an hour
later and come to a complete stop, the ECM still is "stuck" at high
idle ~2000 rpm.  If I sit at a complete stop, the ECM will step down
the idle in fairly noticable ~100rpm steps until it reaches 1000rpm.
If I don't wait the full time for it to come down to 1000 rpm (say I
start driving again when it's at 1500), the next full stop the engine
will come back to 1500, and then step down to 1000 from there.
Either way, once it gets to 1000rpm it holds that just fine and idles
fine for the remainder of the drive and is just great.

Question 1.  Is it appropriate for the ECM to act this way?

Question 2.  Should I try a different prom?  apparently there are at
least two PROM's that are appropriate for this ECM/engine/tranny.
Or are the different proms likely just calibrated for different tire
sizes, and likely to be identical in actual function.

Question 3.  (uneducated suspicion) could the ECM be losing the
hot idle IAC steps setting between each time I drive the car, and
has to find the proper idle each time?  Is it supposed to remember
the proper steps for the IAC to achieve hot idle?  For all I know the
ECM could be losing everything between each startup.  How can I
check this?

Question 4. Should I contact GM and see if my prom is an old
revision/version, where there might be an updated/better version to
try that might behave better?

Question 5. If i'm off base, will someone please point me in the
right direction?

thanks!!!!!!!!

nick