ECM 1227748, creating a new ECU file?

Nick McAlpin nmcalpin at quiknet.com
Tue Feb 20 20:48:59 GMT 2001

Steve/List,

I am going to figure out this ECm one way or another.  =)  It wasn't
too many years ago that I was in college and was pretty proficient
with 8051 (intel microcontroller) assembler.  While the motorola
stuff is quite different, i've already ran the BIN through a
disassembler and am working on an LST file for it now.  I was
elated when I recognized the first subroutine (the checksum
routine).  I couldn't quite figure out why you would loop through the
code adding all the byte values together, ignoring overflows and
everything else, until it finally dawned on me!

It's slow going since it has been a few years since i've worked in
any assembly (not to mention learning the motorola way of doing
things) but i'm confident with a little list help i should be able to
figure the code out and in turn identify some of the obscure
variables that could be changed/set up in the ECU for playing.

As you mentioned, there are a couple of very obvious tables.  i am
working on the ECU file in tandem with the LST file, and the LST
will shed more information on what exactly I need to identifiy in the
BIn for the ECU.