Need recommendations on tools.

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 4 00:47:30 GMT 2001

> Guess it's time for the cheapskates to chime in. Harbor Freight has a
>
> holding up very well, better than my old SnapOns. Some of their sockets
> are pretty good too.

Reeallly gotta watch what you get at Harbor Freight. Some of their stuff is
absolute crap (cheap chrome sockets, for instance). Some of it's pretty good
for being cheap tools, though. I had been ordering via mail, but they
recently opened a store here in Amarillo. Very dangerous for me. ;)

I have bought from Harbor Freight:

8" bench grinder (good)
20-ton press (good)
40-lb pressurized sandblaster (crap)
25" breaker bar (love it)
die grinder with 6" shaft (wobbles like a drunken fool)
3-pack crescent wrenches (loose jaws)
air fittings (that don't fit any of my other air fittings - crap!)
air hammer chisel (effective but very loud =8) )
socket wobble extensions (have broken a couple of 'em)
high-dollar ($180) oxy-acetylene cutting torch / welding setup - LOVE it!

So you can see, it's a mixed grab bag with Harbor Freight...

-Andrew